NZCAR "PiP" Facial Recognition Service Now Available
The NZCAR can now use the power of facial recognition technology to re-unite lost pets with their families.
It’s as simple as taking a picture and registering your pet before they go missing.
Using the most advanced Pet Facial Recognition Technology 'PiP', NZCAR is revolutionising the process for finding lost pets. Photos of found pets uploaded to NZCAR’s 'PiP' facial recognition application are analysed and matched with photos of pets identified as lost. When your pet’s photo and unique identifying features are registered in our system, NZCAR can quickly determine a match between your lost pet and any found pet in the area.
The key services 'PiP' Facial Recognition offers are:
- Any member of the public can submit a photo of a found pet for free on our site
- Any user can flag their pet as missing so that it is then highlighted on the NZCAR admiistration panel. Our staff check each day for new listings and the system is always looking for matches.
- The 'PiP' system sends a missing pet alert to any of the NZCAR agents within a 10km radius of where the pet goes missing. For rural users, if there is no agent within 10km it sends to the nearest three.
- The 'PiP' system allows the NZCAR staff to monitor lost and found facebook sites and import photos for facial comparison if the site owners have given permission.
- You can auto-create a lost pet listing on your own facebook page using your stored pet data.
- Activation of a 'PiP' lost pet alert also updates the NZCAR and can autogenerate a LostPet.co.nz alert as well as Neighbourly notification.
'PiP' Facial Recognition offers a huge step forward in the identification of missing pets. While it does not replace the uniqueness of the microchip identification, facial can quickly narrow the possible options from thousands of animals to only a few possibilities.
It also has the huge advantange that it is a mobile capable technology - without the need for a microchip reader to work. This puts the technology in the hands of many more people, who can all act as a "Good Samaritan" when they find a lost pet.
What does it cost?
Registrations for the NZCAR "PiP" Facial Recognition in New Zealand opened in December 2017. The NZCAR costs is broken down as follows:
$15.00 - standard NZCAR microchip only registration
$25.00 - Upgrade existing NZCAR registration to "PiP" (until 31 March 2018)
$45.00 - New NZCAR microchip registration combined with "PiP" facial recognition.
These costs are one-off fees for the life of the animal. There are no other hidden costs, no annual charges and, more importantly, the cost does not suddenly increase to a much higher cost if you want to register after your pet has gone missing.
If you do not wish to microchip your pet, but do want to register for facial recognition the cost is a one-off fee of $45 for the life of the animal.
Special offer for existing NZCAR clients
As an introductory promotion any owner with a pet already on the NZCAR can add facial recognition for just $25 until 31 March 2018. This is a saving of $5 on the standard cost.