Benefits of the NZCAR
Microchipping AND registration make a huge difference to the likelihood your missing pet will make it home.
In February 2011, the NZCAR assisted SPCA Canterbury by providing an 0800 lost pet service for all animals that were found following the earthquake. The NZCAR placed over 800 lost pet notices within a 6 week period. Of the non-chipped pets we managed to get 25% of animals home within 7 to 10 days. For microchipped animals we managed to get over 85% of them home within 1 to 2 hours!
A summary of the NZCAR include:
- The NZCAR database is accessible 24/7 by over 830 veterinary clinics, SPCA’s, local authorities, and other animal welfare agencies in New Zealand. If your pet is found and taken to one of these agencies, they can scan it for a microchip, search the NZCAR database and quickly find your details and contact you.
- A microchipped AND registered pet gets home more quickly and more often than non-chipped pets.
- The registration fee is a one-off charge for the life of the animal.
- Once you have registered your pet, our repatriation services are free.
- The NZCAR can record the details of any microchipped companion animal – cats, dogs, horses, rabbits, reptiles, birds, fish – to name a few species.
The stakeholders of the NZCAR are the leading animal charities in New Zealand – SPCA, NZVA, NZKC, NZCF, NZCAC.
All the profits from the registration fees go into a Trust that is used to further animal welfare in New Zealand